Brian Hogg the new NCA President with Bob Partridge the outgoing President 2016
Bob Partridge the new NCA President with Dennis Webster the outgoing President 2015
Dennis Webster the new NCA President with Roger Carr the outgoing President 2014
Roger Carr the new NCA President with Barry Mills the outgoing President 2013
Barry Mills the new President with Denis Glasby outgoing President 2012
Minutes of the National Council for Aviculture AGM
1 Chairmans welcome the chairman Dennis Webster welcomed delegates and guests to the meeting.
2 Present: D. Webster (FBF), D. Whittaker (B.S.), A. Woan (B.S.), G. Grist (B.S.),
G. Al-Nasser (B.S.), Mr and Mrs D. Norton (President & Leics. SA), D. Paine (FBF), D. Glasby, A. Triolo (C.C.), C. Smith (C.C.).
Apologies: B. Hogg, T. Salt, B. Mills, and Mrs D. Smith.
3 Minutes of the AGM 26 June 2010 agreed as a true record.
Proposed G. Grist and seconded D. Norton.
4 Matters arising none
report the Chairman tabled his report for everyone to read (copy attached
to the minutes) but briefly summarised the main issues. He was standing down this year
after three years. The relationship with the IOA still needs to be addressed; we met with
The World Show had been a success, a team of 37 birds entered, 3 medals won but with some birds stolen, particularly the budgie gold medal winner.
NCA Constitution is on the agenda with some modifications for your agreement.
The Insurance scheme remains popular, with public liability now £5m.
NCA Roll of Honour certificates to be sent to Rueben Girling and Barry Mills, sadly two members have passed away this year, Bill Taylor and Alan Dunford, who now have been put into the Hall of Fame.
6 Treasurers report balance sheet tabled and accepted, proposed G. Al-Nasser and seconded D. Paine.
There had been a slight loss on the year, with some capital outlay on things like the new stand which will not occur again for a while but the NCA needs to look at sources of income for coming years.
report - tabled for everyone to read and attached to these minutes. He reflected
much of it had already been said and he wished the incoming secretary success for the
reflected much of it had already been said and he wished the incoming secretary success for the future.
A vote of thanks was proposed for the outgoing Chairman and the Secretary.
8 Inauguration of President
Mr Denis Glasby was inaugurated as President of the National
Council for Aviculture. Denis thanked all members present for the honour bestowed upon
him. He attended his first NCA meeting in Blackfriars,
It was suggested that the Management Committee may wish to consider purchasing a Presidential Chain of Office.
9 To appoint Honorary Life Presidents
Brian Hughes, Dennis Norton and Charles Woolley, proposed D. Whittaker and seconded G. Al-Nasser.
10 To receive the names of the Management Committee
BS - G. Al-Nasser, G. Grist, A. Woan and AN Other
CC - A. Triolo, B. Hogg, T. Salt, D. Allen, L. Thompson
Secretary to approach the British Bird Council to consider re-joining this year.
11 Election of Auditors Grant Findlay proposed and the meeting agreed.
12 To determine the rates of subscription:-
As proposed for (2012) within the revised constitution:-
Ring Members £5.00
Parent Body (up to 500 members) £50.00
Parent Body (501 to 1000members) £100.00
Parent Body (over 1000 members) £200.00
The meeting did not agree the proposal for CBS with insurance £50.00 rate due to the annual fluctuations of insurance premiums.
13 To consider any matter referred
i) To approve the constitution with amendments shown in italics.
The Chairman thanked Roger Carr for carrying out much of the work on the constitution and suggested that acceptance of the constitution in its entirety be considered. The meeting agreed, proposed by A. Triolo and seconded by G. Grist.
14 To consider any other relevant business notified to the Secretary at least 14 days prior to the meeting.
i) Election of President Elect.
D. Whittaker proposed Barry Mills, seconded A. Triolo and the meeting agreed unanimously.
The Chairman thanked Dennis Norton for all his years of service to the fancy and the NCA and especially for his last three years as President.
Meeting closed at .
This is my third and final report to you as Chair of the NCA; I shall stand down after this meeting.
The NCA Management Committee has
met 4 times since the last
In my first two reports I alluded
to our efforts to try to work with the IOA, in particular in the context of the coming
together of the two groups to form COM-UK following the meeting of representatives of both
organisations with senior COM officials at the Portugal 2010 World Show (January 2010).
This has proceeded very slowly. An IOA-NCA meeting to discuss forming a Federation was
held in August 2010, but no positive conclusions were arrived at. However by the end of
2010 the IOA view of the idea became much more positive, and at a further joint meeting
with COM at the 2011 World Show at Tours, France, we were able to report to COM that in
principle both parties agreed to form COM-UK, subject to ratification by the IOA
As a result of the NCA becoming a COM member in 2010, a small team of 37 birds from the NCA member organisations were exhibited at the 2011 World Show, resulting in a creditable 3 medals including one gold medal. It is hoped that for the 2012 show in Almeria, Spain, a much larger contingent of exhibits from the NCA will result.
At this years
The NCA insurance scheme remains very popular, and represents an even better deal now because the sum insured under this scheme has been increased to five million pounds. Such insurance is increasingly being demanded by organisations responsible for the letting of premises used for show halls etc.
Two more people have been placed on the NCA Roll of Honour for services to birkeeping during the year, Reuben Girling, long time co-ordinator of the Foreign Bird Federation Breeding Register, and Barry Mills, who has given many years of service to the canary fancy, the Canary Council, and the NCA. Sadly I have to report that two fanciers formerly on the Roll of Honour, Bill Taylor of the ZFS and Alan Dunford of the NFBA and ZFS, both died during the year and have been put into the Hall of Fame. A new certificate for the Roll of Honour is being designed and will be available later this year.
Chris Smith has been our
representative on the Sustainable Users Network (
Finally I would like to thank all the members of the Management Committee especially Dave Whittaker as Secretary - who have supported me and the NCA, not just over the past year, but throughout my three years as Chairman. I am sure that my successor will be equally well supported, and I would like to wish him well.
Secretarys Annual Report
NCA Annual General Meeting
Webster (Chairman, ZFS,
1.Chairmans Welcome: Dennis Webster opened
the meeting at and welcomed all those present. He apologised for
the postponement of the
2.Apologies: Mrs Hilary Flint (
3.Minutes of the previous
4.Matters Arising: There were no matters arising.
5.Chairmans Report: Dennis Webster spoke to his 2nd written report as Chairman which was distributed to all present and which included the following points:.
· The Welcome to Birdkeeping booklet has been very favourably received by the fancy and the public. Printed supplies are available for free distribution to members and to the public. A version can also be downloaded free from the NCA website.
· The new exhibition stand made its debut at the Stafford Spring Show and will be at the National Bird Show of the Year in October.
· NCA contribution continues to the work of the Animal Welfare Strategy Group though progress is currently limited by the change in government and uncertain future of DEFRA.
· NCA Insurance scheme remains popular with affiliated clubs who recognise good value for money.
· The Management Committee is recommending today a number of amendments to the 2007 constitution in response to requests from affiliated clubs and in the light of experience.
· The NCA is affiliated to the Confederation Orthanologique Mondiale (COM). Some of the Management Committee met with the IOA and COM at the World Show in January. The next step is a meeting with the IOA to discuss forming a federation.
The NCA website continues to develop under Gh
· Additions to the Hall of Fame were Ian Hinze and George Coe. Additions to the Roll of Honour were Bill and Alan Taylor, long-term editors of the ZFS Magazine, and Don and Irene Bargett, well-known Foreign Bird Exhibitors.
· The British Bird Council has suspended affiliation for the current year but it is hoped they will return as one of the four Parent Bodies soon.
· The Chairman expressed his personal thanks to the Management Committee for their hard work over the past year.
6. Treasurers Report: George Booth (BS) was
· Major items of expenditure were the Welcome to Birdkeeping booklet and the exhibition stand which represent investment in the NCAs contribution to the hobby.
· Income continued to rise from affiliation subscriptions and the insurance scheme.
· Modest interest earned on all accounts reflects the national picture.
The report was adopted unanimously on a proposal by Dennis Norton, seconded by Andrew Triolo. A vote of thanks to the outgoing Treasurer, George Booth, was proposed by Dennis Norton and seconded by Barry Mills. All in favour.
Following George Booths retirement from the post, the Secretary, Dave Whittaker, has assumed the role of Treasurer and will update the Management Committee on the financial situation at its next meeting in August.
7. Secretarys Report: Dave Whittaker presented a written report to the meeting which contained the following points:
Since the 2009
· 79 clubs have taken up the public liability insurance scheme and 42 clubs have affiliated.
2009 Officers were: President Dennis Norton, Chairman Dennis
Webster, Vice-Chairman Andrew Triolo, Secretary Dave Whittaker, Treasurer George Booth,
Minutes Secretary & Publicity Officer Barry Mills, Web Controller Gh
· A website link to the parent bodies judges lists was agreed.
· Production of Bird Welfare Sheets, Welcome to Birdkeeping booklet and purchase of new display stand.
· Additions made to Roll of Honour and Hall of Fame (see website).
COM membership approved from
Constitution amendments in line with decisions made at the
· Treasurer George Booth & CBS Liaison Officer stood down from their elected positions in December 2009.
NCA contributions to the Bird Welfare Strategy Group are Bird Welfare Guidelines (for
· There are other on-going issues which once concluded should bring greater harmony within the fancy.
The Chairman thanked Dave Whittaker on behalf of the whole Council for his work for the NCA both as Secretary and now as Treasurer. This was particularly appreciated at a time when Dave had not enjoyed the best of health.
8.Election of President: Dennis Norton declared himself willing to serve as President for another year. On a proposal by Dave Whittaker, seconded by Andrew Triolo it was agreed unanimously that Dennis Norton be elected for 2010 and that Denis Glasby (Life Member and former CC delegate) be President elect for 2011.
9. Honorary Life Vice Presidents: No nominations were received.
10. Management Committee 2010:
Budgerigar Society representatives: Dave
Whittaker, Roger Carr, Gh
Canary Council representatives: Barry Mills, Chris Smith, Andrew Triolo, Terry Salt. (reserves: David Allen, Len Thompson).
Foreign Bird Federation representatives: Dennis Webster, David Paine, Peter Collins.
11.Election of Auditor: Grant Findlay was duly elected unanimously on a proposal by Barry Mills, seconded by Andrew Triolo. The Chairman thanked Grant Findlay on behalf of the NCA for his excellent service in the past and for his continued help in the coming year.
12.Subscription Rates: On a proposal by Andrew Triolo, seconded by Terry Salt it was unanimously agreed that subscription rates remain as now for a further year. Dave Whittaker requested that future subscription rates be an agenda item for the Management Committee meeting in August.
13.Recommendations from the Management Committee:
number of amendments to the constitution resulting from decisions made at the previous
i. To item 3(i) regarding membership the following sentence was added: In the event of any of the above named organisations being unable to fulfil their obligations they can be replaced by a like-minded umbrella organisation representing in broad principle the objectives of that parent body subject to the payment of the appropriate fee.
ii. To item 7(i) Now reads: Parent Organisations 4 votes each. The parent body votes to be allocated so that each of the four members representing the parent body has 1 vote.
iii. To item 11(ix) Now reads: To consider any resolution submitted to the secretary prior to the 31st December in the year preceding the meeting by the Management Committee, a Parent Organisation or two or more Affiliated Cage Bird Societies. Such resolutions to be circulated to the membership by the 7th January in the year of the meeting. Amendments to the resolutions will be accepted provided they are submitted in accordance with the first sentence of rule 11(ix) and are received prior to the 31st January in the year of the meeting.
To item 12(v) Now reads: An EGM will only be v
v. To Item 12(vi) Now reads: A Quorum at an EGM shall be a minimum of 30 voting members of the NCA.
14. Any other Business notified to the Secretary at least 14 days before the meeting:
i. The Secretary had secured assurance from Knights solicitors
that our postponed
Date and Venue of next
NCA Annual General Meeting 18th April, 2009
Webster (Chairman, ZFS/
1.Chairmans Welcome: Dennis Webster opened proceedings at and welcomed all those in attendance. There were written reports available for all present from the Chairman and Treasurer but late arrival of the Secretarys report prevented individual copies being available and so that report would be read out at the appropriate time.
Whittaker (BS), Dave Paine (Gainsborough CBS/ZFS/
4. Matters arising:
There were no matters arising from the
5. Chairmans Report: Dennis Webster spoke to his written report (attached), which included the following points:
NCA responsible for two sections of the Avian Welfare Strategy:
Exhibition Birds and the Foreign & Native species. Dennis & Barry to attend next
meeting of Strategy Committee on 20th May in
History of the NCA is being researched and we now know it was
· The Insurance scheme is proving popular and is providing excellent and cheap cover to members whilst raising funds for the NCA and parent bodies.
· Reports of all NCA meetings are published in Cage & Aviary Birds and on the NCA website, the BS website and ZFS website. The Canary Council website will also carry NCA reports.
· NCA Website is expanding and may also be used by affiliated societies to promote their own clubs.
· The Breeder of the Year competition applies to all four sections (British, Foreign, Budgerigar and Canary) and can be entered at all shows of affiliated CBSs. Only the canary section qualified this year and we must promote this competition further in future. All affiliated societies and their shows to be advertised on the website.
NCA is exploring affiliation to COM in order to seek mutual
support for our hobby in
6. Treasurers Report: George Booth presented written copies of his report and an audited Financial Statement (attached).
· In short there was an excess of income over expenditure during 2008 of £543.54.
The demise of two former NCA signatories (Percy Jacobs &
Victor Carr) had caused immense difficulties in securing access to one of our large
investment funds with the Halifax Building Society. T
· The severe drop in interest rates has reduced our income from our various accounts and this seems likely to remain so for some time.
· On a request from Ghalib, the Treasurer agreed to show in future financial statements separate entries for society affiliations, Parent Body subscriptions and insurance income. He also agreed to show comparative figures from the previous years accounts.
On a proposal from Ghalib, seconded by Andrew, the
Financial Statement was accepted unanimously. The Chairman extended a vote of t
7. Secretarys Report: In the absence of sufficient copies of the Secretarys written report (attached) for all present, the Chairman read the report to the meeting.
· 76 clubs were now making use of the insurance scheme.
· There had been 5 Management Committee meetings throughout the past year and the Secretarys report summarised them all.
· An accommodation had not yet been reached with the IOA but it was hoped that the situation could be resolved amicably in the months ahead.
8. Election of the President: On a proposal by George Booth, seconded by Hilary Flint, Dennis Norton was re-elected unanimously as President of the NCA. Dennis graciously accepted the office on the understanding that this would be his last year. After a lifetime serving the hobby in many different capacities, he is looking forward to relaxing a little when this year of office is completed.
9. Honorary Life Vice Presidents: Currently these are: Brian Hughes, Dennis Norton, Charles Woolley and Sean Fitzpatrick.
Dennis Norton proposed and George Booth seconded that Ghalib
Al-Nasser be awarded this honour. Ghalib t
10.Names of Management Committee for 2009/10:
· British Bird Council: Gwynn W. Jones, Bernard Williams, Craig & Julie Walker.
· Budgerigar Society: Ghalib Al-Nasser, Dave Whittaker, George Booth, Roger Carr. (Reserve: Alex Woan).
· Canary Council: Barry Mills, Chris Smith, Andrew Triolo, Dennis Norton (Reserve: Colin Egner).
Foreign Bird Federation:
Bob Clarke, Bob Storey, Steve Nesbitt, Dave Paine, (reserves:
Bryan Reed, Clive Cotton). While
Dennis Webster is Chairman, the
11. Election of Auditor: On a proposal from Ghalib, seconded by Alex Woan, it was unanimously agreed to invite Grant Findlay to serve again as auditor.
12. Rate of Subscriptions: At present these are:
· £200 p.a. for each parent body
· £25 p.a. affiliation for CBSs
· £40 p.a. for affiliated clubs to purchase insurance scheme.
· £45 p.a. for member clubs of parent bodies to purchase insurance scheme
resolutions had been received from the
1. The first resolution concerning the quorum for an EGM be the same as for an
(On a proposal by Andrew Triolo, seconded by Ghalib, it was agreed unanimously that this be referred to the Management Committee for reconsideration of the quorum requirement).
2. The second resolution was passed on a vote of 14 for and none
against. The Management Committee was requested to look again at the arrangements for
resolutions for AGMs and devise a framework that allowed for resolutions to be considered
and amendments made before the
3. The third resolution that the third management meeting of the year be a general meeting was defeated on a vote of 3 in favour and 9 against.
Matters referred to the
15. Any other relevant business notified to the Secretary at least 14 days before the meeting:
Jones informed the meeting that the
The meeting sympathised with the
18. Presentation: The President, Dennis Norton, presented Tim Ward of Shrewsbury CBS with The Canary Breeder of the Year trophy (an inscribed crystal bowl).
There being no other business, the Chairman closed the AGM at 12.15pm. A vote of thanks was proposed by Ghalib Al-Nasser to the Chairman for his efficient chairing of the meeting.